I love it when a few ingredients can come together to make something super delicious. I love it even more when it’s budget friendly – meaning, you could make this for recipe even if you need to pinch pennies. Plus, it’s something that everyone can eat since it’s vegan and vegetarian friendly!
This slaw can be used to top tacos or sandwiches. It can be a side dish to a main course. Or you can just eat it straight up as a salad. I’ve done all of the above and it’s delicious no matter how I’ve used it, but if I eat it as a meal of a salad, I normally toss in some avocado. So if you like avocados, there’s an idea for you!
Also, this recipe is sort of a guide because there’s no real measurements. You can make a big batch or a small batch, but this is the basic ratio. Also you should adjust this to your taste preferences and also to compliment whatever you’re serving it with.
Pixie’s Simple Spicy Slaw
- ¼ of a head of green cabbage, washed and sliced very thin
- 1 stalk of scallions/green onions, washed and sliced very thin
- Half a jalapeno pepper, sliced very thin
- For less spice: take out the seeds and white part inside of the pepper and use less of it.
- For more spice: Use the whole jalapeno, seeds and all, or upgrade to a spicier pepper such as serrano pepper.
- Juice from half of a medium sized lemon
- In a large mixing bowl, add your sliced cabbage, scallions/green onions, and jalapeno pepper.
- Add a sprinkling of salt and some black pepper.
- Pour the juice from the lemon over everything and give it all a good mix, making sure the seasoning is distributed, the veggies are well mixed, and the lemon juice gets a chance to coat everything.
- Set aside in the fridge for at least 10 minutes to let the flavors meld and the cabbage soften.
- Give it another good mix, adjust salt and pepper to your taste preference, and serve! This can last in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Seriously, that’s it. And it’s so yum. If you have herbs on hand that you’d like to use up, such as cilantro or parsley, feel free to toss them in as well. Enjoy!