When my friend from England stayed with me, she did what most others would do…Load up on sugary breakfast cereal! Sadly, I’m not a cereal eater and she left some Lucky Charms behind. That means I needed to bake them into something so they didn’t go to waste. So into a blondie bar they went!
What are blondie bars? Think brownie, but no chocolate. That might seem horrifying to some, but they’re delicious chewy buttery bites of yum. And if you REALLY want chocolate with them, I have an option for that addition in this recipe that still keeps from being blondies and NOT brownies.
The blondie bars are pretty easy to make. You just stir in the ingredients together, put it in a pan and bake! That’s it. No really, that’s it.
Please note that the marshmallows won’t stay whole and will turn into colorful blobs after baking. Also, you can leave the bars as they are when they come out of the oven, but I’m an overachiever sometimes and put white chocolate and sprinkles on top of them. I mean, if you’re gonna consume that much sugar, why not add a little bit more? Plus, I’ll use any excuse to add pretty sprinkles to things.
Magical/Lucky Blondie Bars
- ½ cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 generous pinch of salt
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup Lucky Charms (or generic equivalent) cereal
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Grease an 8×8 baking pan and set aside.
- Add brown sugar to melted butter and mix well. Not all the butter will be mixed into the sugar and that’s okay.
- Add in one egg and mix until fully combined.
- Stir in vanilla extract and salt.
- Mix in the flour and keep mixing until really well combined – you wanna make sure the butter gets mixed in really well so it doesn’t pool on top of the blondie when you bake it.
- Stir in marshmallow cereal.
- Spread the batter evenly into your prepared baking dish and bake in the oven for 24 minutes. If you’re using a metal baking pan, reduce time by 4 minutes.
- Let cool in pan before slicing into bars.
- Optional: Top with melted chocolate of your choosing and sprinkles or extra cereal.